The Dark Invitation by Pamela Toeffer




Yordi Creek is where I go when I need to be alone.
I close my eyes and the day is drifting.

My blanket is beneath me. I sit alongside the creek.
I'm listening.
And watching.

I sit as still as I can on a late autumn day and witness to these invitations:

A splash in the water; a fish jumps.
A rock falls from the hillside and splashes into the creek.
A large bird takes off from one of the old oak trees.The air was so thick I can hear the sounds of its wings flapping as it flies over me.
A butterfly moves from one bush to another.
A honeybee hovers near me.
A woodpecker beats on top of a picnic table, knocking, knocking, and perhaps sharpening its tool for the wild.

I watch the fish that had splashed in the water a few seconds earlier, swimming in a circle. The sun shines on its scales.It looks white in the water.

Breezes stir, the dying leaves fall.I can hear them on their journey to the ground below.
One falls into the water, exciting the white fish. It gulps it down, thinking it is a tasty insect. Only a second later it is spit out, making a small arch above the water.

A lizard runs onto the top of a rock,sunning itself for a few minutes before scurrying back underneath to the shade.

Two lily pads have taken hold in a placid section of the creek.
I'm fascinated they look so out of place, their flowers large and succulent on dark green leaves, finding a place of peace among all of the activity around them.

Just like the dementia settling on my mother, age settling on me, and friends becoming distant, I don't hear or notice them happening around me . . . until I am still and I pay attention.

They seemto rise from an invisible place that is dark, deep, and hidden.

I wonder if the depths of an invisible plane had opened for me as I sat listening, reminding me of simple joys, sweet memories, and the remaining life I have left.


I wished I could jump in with them forever, escaping the pain of . . . this.


-Pamela Toeffer

Wordcurd

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment