The Vulture and I

The Vulture and I




(Scene opens on two characters facing each other at some distance. One is a vulture and the other is a young man. Vulture is perched at a height. The vulture is sitting on the parapet of a terrace of a very tall building and the young person is at balcony of an opposite high rise. The young person is vigorously texting on his cellphone and occasionally looking down the balcony. Earphones tucked in place. The vulture is intently gazing at the person)

Vulture: (shrieks; young one doesn't look up, shrieks again. Young one looks up, adjusts some settings in his / her cellphone)

Vulture: So, what's up?

Person: Talking to me?

Vulture: Anyone else around? But hold on! Do you understand my shrieks?

Person: Yeah, that’s easy. I have an app that can translate any language.... of any species (smiles).

Vulture (surprised): How?? I don't believe this...
(Shrill shriek again). Now tell me what I shrieked.

Person: This is a family forum. I can't read this out. Cut your crap!

Vulture: (clears its throat. looks around)

Person: Are you a culture vulture?

Vulture: No.... I belong to Vulture culture.... quite a strong culture we have.

Person: Scavenging is hardly any culture! Always looking down for death.

Vulture: Oh, that's survival. What do you look down for?

Person: Excuse me?

Vulture: I find all of you bipeds looking down into some small shiny thing. What for? Survival?

Person: (Pauses). ummmm,

Vulture: We look for food, what do you look for?

Person: For me? Now? I am looking down for death
(checks down balcony, as if climbing up its edge - to jump)

Vulture: Hey, what are you trying? Have you suddenly learnt to fly?

Person: (Looks at vulture) Wish I could! If I could, I won't be swooping down at garbage and carcasses! I would glide away from the expectations into that vast nothingness (spreads his / her arms, as if trying to fly). (Dejected, suddenly) I am no good to anyone

Vulture: But as we all know, you can't! So, if you have to jump, go to the other side of the building.

Person: (confounded) Why?

Vulture: This side is road. They will find you quickly. That side is an abandoned construction site. No one will miss you. No one will find you.
Person: Why are you so interested in where my useless life ends?

Vulture: You are in no good to anyone when you live, Be good to me at least when you die

Person: And how's that?

Vulture: That side? You will not be found for days. You will decay. And I and my family will have our food for a week. You will be useful.

Person: (closes eyes, as if to visualise being eaten by vultures. shudders. climbs down the ledge of balcony) (with obligation to vulture) Thank you!

Vulture: (Disapplointed, shrugs) Fuck you!

(Blackout)

Wordcurd

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

No comments:

Post a Comment